Thursday, June 3, 2010

More Dinosaur Fun

My son goes to a charter school where the parents are heavily involved in the school curriculum and all parents spend time working in the classroom--such a wonderful program. The kids studied dinosaurs this year and my son was fascinated with understanding the actual sizes of the dinos.
My husband and I came up with the idea to sketch out a dinosaur and have the kids help us outline the exact dimensions of a dino in the field at school. We picked the largest dinosaur they were learning about--The Brachiosaurus!!
We sketched out the dimensions on graph paper and then created an out line of the dino in the grass using wooden pegs. The kids worked together and connected ribbon to all of the pegs.
This is a photo of the kids standing inside one of the legs of the Brachiosaurus!
The children were amazed at the actual size of the Brachiosaurus!! They had a lot of fun laying down next to the dino and inside his legs and wondering what it would be like to look up at this enormous dinosaur!!
This photo taken from the bottom/tail of the dino...................

1 comment:

  1. Another great idea! I'll have to remember this for when I have kids. I think I would be amazed to see how big the dinosaur was too!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails